Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mairead's Story to Help Graduate Jobseekers

Last week I wrote about the amazing team at Expect Talent, so this week I am going to introduce you to our newest team member Mairead Collins.  Mairead has written this week's blog to help all graduates out there who are currently looking for a new job, her story will inspire and motivate you to take action.  

Mairead: "Let me introduce myself, my name is Mairead, the newest Talent Manager in Expect Talent.  I graduated in 2010 with an honors Degree in Business and Hospitality. Graduating in the height of recession is obviously not easy, and getting a job in the field where you would like your career to progress is next to impossible or so I thought last June (2010).  Like many of my peers I applied for countless positions online every day, most of them getting no response, and when I did receive a response it generally said “sorry you do not have enough experience in this area" and the famous last words “we will keep your CV on file and should a position arise that is suited to your experience we will contact you “.


By the end of the summer months I was getting extremely disheartened about this and knew I had to do something in order to get my career started. I decided to search for an internship and I was very lucky to get a HR internship with a Global IT company called EMC, based in Cork. Here I got so much experience in the area of HR and Recruitment, learning from brilliant people with great knowledge and the experience I gained was invaluable to my career. 

As a result of this experience, I have now got a fantastic new position working with a great role model, and a great team, gaining even more experience in HR and Recruitment.  If I was to give any graduate advice for the future, internships are the way to go. Working in an unpaid position gaining experience is one of the best decisions I have ever made as it shows future employers that you are dedicated, motivated and interested in getting gaining experience.  Having this on my CV helped me secure my current position."

Mairead interviewed for the job at Expect Talent alongside 5 other candidates for her role as a Talent Manager.  She was selected because of her drive, commitment and dedication shown through the fact that she was willing to work for 5 months unpaid just to gain experience in her chosen field.  She also demonstrated a high level of proactiveness and a strong fit with the core values of our business.  We look forward to developing and upskilling Mairead and helping her to achieve he personal and professional goals.  If you have any comments or questions for Mairead please post them here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment